Friday, August 20, 2010

Network two computers using modem?

Can I connect two computers using their modems? What should I do? I have two computers which are located of about 150 meters away. I know it is impractical to use LAN cable to connect them. And I don't want to use wireless LAN. What exactly should I do? Can I use telephone line? Just line...



Network two computers using modem?spyware remover



Even if you could get two modems to talk together using a long crossover telephone line with no dial-tone, I doubt there'd be any useful networking protocols that would work across the link.



You'd be better off with a straight ''null-modem'' serial cable (no actual modems, just COM1 ports). I know that XP has (had?) a ''Direct Cable Connection'' under Network Connections, New Connection Wizard, Advanced Connection, but it isn't active for me.



You'd have to put male DB9 connectors (using pins 3, 4 and 9, I think. Look it up!) on the ends of a wire (could be phone wire or Cat5.) Be sure and test it before you invest too heavily in pulling a cable!



Good Luck.



Network two computers using modem?virus removal



Ok install a NIC (Network interface Card) in each computer then use a crossover cable. (Network cable can go up to 500Metres before a repeater is needed)
peer to peer network
Just because you WANT to do something doesn't mean that it's practical or advisable.



Buy a couple of $10 network cards and a $5 hub off of ebay and do it right.
I assume that the 'Modems' you refer to are phone line modems.



They will not connect to each other. To connect to each other you need a common access point (Router, Hub, etc.). This will require a network adapter and a router or hub.



Otherwise to connect to the internet as independent PC's you need a second phone line or only one in use at a time.



Good Luck
Just what acaip said



  • shake away for squirrels
  • keeping computer safe
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment