Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do I set up a network between 6 computers when two don't have a floppy drive?

I had a network set up, but then my family moved, and we rewired everything. Then 4 of the computers had their hard-drives wiped and we bought another. I have 6 in total. How do I put them all on the network again? Should I delete whatever broken connections I have between the computers? (Some of the computers can acess one or two other machines, but the computers don't ''recognize'' eachother. I made a floppy disk in the setup wizard but the newer computers don't have a floppy drive. I used my Windows XP CD to try and link the machines but I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Also, can I connect 5 PCs with XP to the network and add a 6th that has Vista?



Other info: We share an internet connection through a cable modem, and the internet is working on all 6, but not the file and printer sharing (I can't send a file from one computer to another without a CD, email, or a flashdrive)



Thanks in advance!



How do I set up a network between 6 computers when two don't have a floppy drive?antivirus scan



Make sure those other PCs are on the same IP segment as the other computers. example: 192.168.1.xxx.



If you do file sharing make sure you have it turned on, on all the PCs. You can turn this on by right-clicking my computer and going to Sharing and Security (XP)



Yes, you can connect a Vista machine with an XP machine on the network. They both use the same network protocol so there shouldn't be any issues with that.



How do I set up a network between 6 computers when two don't have a floppy drive?computer security



Why not try use the flashdrive to transfer the Wizard settings to the other PCs.
Make sure all computers are in the same WORKGROUP. Chances are the 4 computers whos hard drives were wiped now have the default workgroup name of WORKGROUP or something like that.



To check/change workgroup name, right-click My Computer and click properties. On the Computer Name tab, check the workgroup name, they all need to be the same.



once that is done, feel free to share out folders to your likeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment