Friday, August 20, 2010

Networking Distant Computers?

I am trying to network two offices that are 150 miles apart. I have been told to use a VPN router to best accomplish this but I am not sure how I can do this. In my new office there is only 1 computer at the second, and it has a static ip address on a cable modem. My main office has 3 computers networked together sharing a cable modem. I need to be able to set up a Map drive from my server in my main office that can be used by a program in my new office. Please email me with any specifics you need to give a best answer. Thanks!



Networking Distant Computers?software



Two easy options for you.



One http://www.hamachi.cc/



a software VPN client that will allow you to create a logical VPN connection from PC to PC



Second



Buy two Linksys RVL200 VPN routers.



Replace the router servicing the 3 computers and put the second single machine behind one of these. Once you set these up via the web GUI they will automatically VPN to each other and all the machines should see each other like they were in the same room. This is nice because you can add and remove machines with very little configuration or setup. Secondly this is the fast of the two options since the router does all the encryption and decryptions.



Caviats!: You IP address may change, unless you are paying for static IP address from your ISP. If this happens the tunnel will be broken because each RVL200 needs to know the distant end IP address of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment