Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Why can my laptop not access the other computers in my network?

Ok, here is the situation:



I have 2 desktop computers (XP pro and XP home), one wired to the router directly, one connected to the router with wireless. These two computers can ping/fileshare/etc. with each other just fine.



My laptop (running XP Pro) can gain access to the network and the internet (which is connected to the router) but cannot see the other computers in My Network Places. Start %26gt; Run %26gt; \\computername doesn't work either.



The laptop CAN ping the other computers but they cannot ping it. All computers are using Norton Internet security's firewall, but honestly I've never had any problems with it.



Any suggestions?



Why can my laptop not access the other computers in my network?computer repair



instead of using \\computername try \\IP_address instead. I imagine they are not registered in DNS your pointed to.



Why can my laptop not access the other computers in my network?free antivirus



In this case i would start to check firewalls. For example check your virus programs. If there are any firewalls built into those, uninstall them and use the XP firewall. This is definately a security issue here. FYI: Norton is not good for a normal user. Get rid of that, use XP firewall and download the free AVG antivirus only for both computers. Then you'll have no problems.
I agree, also make sure there part of same workgroup.
ok.. First you have to network your computer for Internet access.. do this ..for sharing files/printers go to control panel and click ''network setup wizard'' follow on screen instructions, and share folders on each pc.

No comments:

Post a Comment